Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Overview of Playlists

Country Music from the 1950-1960's
The songs included in this playlist are songs that were popular, or were number one hits during the 1950's and 1960's. The artists throughout the playlist are artists that were popular during that time, some of which are still well known and producing music today.
The Grand Ole Opry
This playlist focuses on the country music artists that are inducted members of The Grand Ole Opry. All the tracks that are linked to the playlists are live versions of songs performed at the Grand Ole Opry.
The Grand Ole Opry is the an American icon and is located in Nashville, Tennesse. The Opry started as a radio broadcast in 1925, and has since turned into the a concert hall. The Opry prides itself on the shows that they host and the performances that are given for people of all ages to enjoy. Not only does the Opry host it's own members but always hosts guests to come in and perform on their stage.
The Grand Ole Opry has been called "the home of Ameircan music" and "country's most famous stage".
Modern Day Country Music
This playlist consists of modern day country music, or any country music from the last ten years. Country music has become more integrated with pop music and this playlist focuses on the artists that are most known for doing so.

6 comments:

  1. I'm citing playlist #3 for task 7, #1. I like the amount of artists you including but I feel that each artist could have had two songs, especially Rascal Flatts. I would have included Carrie Underwood and Jimmy Wayne on the list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. I'm citing playlist #3 for part 1 of task 7. I think you've got a good variety of artists with different levels of notoriety. I absolutely love Eric Church, so I was glad to see that you included him on here. If I were to add to this playlist, I'd include some Justin Moore, Jason Aldean and George Strait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am citing your playlist "Modern Country Music" in question #3. I was hoping that exploring your playlist would bring me to appreciate country music in some sort of way, but as expected, it failed. I think you did provide a good representation of the country spectrum, but I just can't seem to wrap my ears around why country music would sound good to anyone. Artists like Taylor Swift are especially annoying, as they infuse their country into pop music. Stay away, Taylor. Stay far, far away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am citing playlist #3 to answer question #3. I thought by listening to country music in the context of this class it would resonate more with me, but it doesn't. I can't relate to the music or the lyrics, usually I just want to turn it off. Music is supposed to open a door for you, lead you to a different place, but country music is one firmly closed door that is forcing me in the opposite direction. It's just not a sound I can get into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am citing your playlist, Country Music from 1950s-1960s, for question #3. Growing up in the northeast, I was never exposed to country music. While I am open to new genres, country music is not really a genre I can relate to. You did an amazing job with your blog, but I dont think that I will be listening to much country in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am citing your playlist Modern Day Country Music for question #3. I find great enjoyment in the blues and folk music of generations past, but I do not enjoy the country music of the present day. It seems that the focus has become too pop oriented, and I don't hear much in the way of innovation happening sonically. It may be easy to drive or "get lost" in this music, but to me, it seems that part of the reason for that may be that the artists are not pushing any boundaries. Your blog provided great commentary as to where each artist came from, and where they fit within the genre, I just don't see much more that's worth exploring.

    ReplyDelete